Thursday, January 03, 2008

Hopeful

Hopeful Sky

The sun IS still up there. Somewhere. Even as we got spit on by some evil dark clouds on our way home with our new bookshelf, this little patch served as my ray of hope.

Hardcore winter bikerBut while the weather continues to be cold and miserable, people still have to get places and do things and some of them are still on two wheels. To those people, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear. The hardest part is just getting out the door, and then I usually start to enjoy myself. This biker was clearly up for whatever the sky throws down.

There's a kind of relief in the unambiguity of weather that's just gross. You don't have to wonder what to put on, just load up for bear: booties or waterproof shoes, rain pants & jacket, facemask, warm gloves (there's no such thing as waterproof gloves) and in my case, I've been known to wear my ski goggles. Nothing makes me happier than to bike around for five hours in the rain, as I did a couple of weeks ago, and come home dry underneath it all. Sure, I'm wearing $500 to do it, and that's not to say there aren't much cheaper ways to be comfortable, but to me, it's worth it.

No comments: