Tuesday, September 25, 2007

First day of school

I set my alarm for 8:00 this morning but my wake up call came at 7:45. I really must remember to turn off my phone at night. Of course, that didn't keep me from running late as usual. I decided to ride to campus but missed the shuttle that goes directly out to Sylvania so I ended up on the bus instead.

I have two classes on campus this term, Java programming and Data Communication Concepts. First impressions of the teacher's are good. They both seem engaged and like they enjoy teaching--a definite improvement over last year.

More and more I'm reminded of the fact that I'm delving into a pretty male-dominated field. But I didn't think the domination would come in the particular form I encountered today. I'm talking about smelly boys. Yup, I was olfactorily assaulted, shortly after arriving at my first class of the day. I was already logged into my work station and had several programs open, so I was trapped. At first I thought he was a smoker, but then I realized it was either lack of showering or laundry or both. And my nose is my worst sense, so I had to assume that if I noticed it, the problem was pretty severe.

I escaped to my next class, only to have the smell repeated. I was sitting between two guys this time and couldn't pin down the culprit. But from now on, I think I'll sit in the back.

Other than that, I'm feeling much better about being able to handle my classes this term. I suppose not having a dying mother to take care of will make it easier to focus on classes. But just writing that makes me want to go have a good cry. Have I mentioned how much CANCER SUCKS??? Oh, I guess I did. Well, it can't be repeated too often if you ask me.

No comments: